Monday, March 19, 2012

Rationalizing Spending

After looking more carefully at my consumption behavior over the past week, I realize how much rationalization comes into play when making purchasing decisions.
Normally, if I came across an $8 slice of cheesecake, I wouldn't think that it was worth my money. However, last week I encountered an $8 slice of raspberry white chocolate truffle cheesecake and rationalized, "I'm on vacation!" and swiped my debit card without a second thought. The rationalizations of "I'm on vacation", "It's spring break!" and "I'll save my money after break" were commonly occurring thoughts when spending money over the past week.


Even if the purchases I was making weren't in my best interest ($10 margarita anyone?) I was able to make sense of them, and thus relieve myself of any dissonance I would normally feel about spending that much money. I have a feeling that I am not the only one who is feeling a little guilty looking at my bank statement after spring break.


No comments:

Post a Comment